Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tudor 7966 Service (ETA2462)

Just got this Tudor in for a servicing..

Prince Oysterdate Model 7966 from early 1962, with ETA2462 based calibre marked Tudor Geneve under the dial.Serial number 368xxxx.

This watch would only tick for several seconds and then stop. Hopefully a clean will rectify this.

On opening the watch, I found that it was incredibly filthy, someone had previously oiled the watch liberally and it had dried into 'gunk'. I didn't even take a photo of the dirty assembled movement as I immediately stripped it down.

Another surprise was the incredible number of jewels on this watch. It looks like the autowind mechanism had been replaced with one from one of those 77 jewels Titoni. I actually have one which is why I recognised it immediately. The 77Jewel Titoni has the ETA2452 movement which is essentially the same. No actual harm but a purist might be offended.


Some pics of how the mainplate looked on the dialside. The brown stuff on the edges is from the rubber cement used to hold the dial in place as the dialfeet had broken off...doh!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


On the top side,
Photobucket


Dialside after cleaning, in case you thought this was an ETA?...marked Tudor Geneve 2462.
Photobucket

Photobucket


The peerlage (circular graining) is one step above the normal ETA stuff.
Photobucket

Photobucket


Mainplate with barrel and third wheel installed
Photobucket


Mainplate with train bridge installed to check the smoothness of the barrel and third wheel meshing as the third wheel pinion had some rust issues. It checked out OK eventually.
Photobucket


With wheel-train in place.
Photobucket


With going train installed, check out the jewels....!
Photobucket


Another view of the movement with the train installed.
Photobucket


Balance and cock....hairspring looks good.
Photobucket


Balance assembly installed, ticks nicely.
Photobucket


I managed to source a new date-ring, here it is side-by-side with the old one.
Photobucket


Close up of the old date-ring.
Photobucket


Dialside with keyless works installed.
Photobucket


Datewheel and date mechanism installed.
Photobucket

Photobucket


The autowinding mechanism was also very dirty...since these wheels are quite slo-moving, most people use heavy oil here but this can gum the ratchets in the reversing wheels.

The autowind plate before cleaning.
Photobucket


The intermediate gear was quite dirty as you can see.
Photobucket


The wheels looked a bit better with some cleaning...
Photobucket


The autowind was also cleaned up...there are a lot of scratches in the photo but these are are not really so bad with the naked eye.
Photobucket


The dial and hands installed. The dial has 'patina' giving it a yellowish tint, since this is spread out quite evenly I did not want to try to clean this up...it is more likely I would make it worse...!

Photobucket


Movement installed in the case.
Photobucket


Then the auto-winding stuff goes on.
Photobucket

Photobucket


Inner caseback...Tudor uses the same system as Rolex, here it says 162, meaning 1st quarter 1962.
Photobucket


Ticking quite nicely now. The discoloration around the edges is from the glue used previously to secure the crystal. I noticed the outer-bezel was cracked so I decided not to remove it as it would most likely break... It is most likely already broken as the crystal is non-stadard, what happens is the crystal would be too thick and when you force the bezel on the bezel will break.
Photobucket

Problems....

1. This calibre does not have the usual cannon post arrangement like most watches which slip to enable time-changing..
The hour post is a snap fit on the hour wheel which does not have a post..it is just a flat wheel with three prongs which grip the hour post. This enables the hour post to be moved independantly of the hour wheel when changing the time.

2. The hands were in bad shape and needed to be staked. The finish of the hands was also quite rough but the owner didn't want it changed.

3. The crown does not'spring' out when unscrewed. So when hand-winding, it is necessary to apply a bit of outwards pressure, even so it is quite easy for the crown to want to screw back in...I couldn't find a correct original replacement..Luckily it is an automatic...this would not be acceptable on a hand-wind.

4. The dialside shock-protection spring was quite mangled.. I forgot to take a close-up of this but you can see it in some of the pictures above. It is a four-leafed clover design which looks like it is one of thoseturn and fit devices but it is actually hinged like the normal Incabloc.. Luckily it still managed to perform its function, if it didn't things would have got a lot worse.

5. Broken dial feet.

Overall a nice, if neglected watch. If it were mine would look for the non-jewelled auto-wind parts as the jewels detract from the beauty of the basic movement. A new crown and possibly a new crystal and hands wou finish things nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment